Seasonal thunderstorms can cause a great deal of stress for all animals; pet owners need to take steps to keep their pets calm and safe.
Tips to keep your pet safe and calm:
· Keep pets indoors, close the curtains. Take them outside to “do their business” prior to the thunderstorms starting. Turn on the radio or television to help mask outdoor noises.
· Keep a well-fitting (not tight) collar and identification/license on your pet. Licensed, micro-chipped and dogs with ID tags have a better chance of being returned to their owners.
· If your pet is crate-trained place it in its crate.
· If you have a new pet and you do not know how it will react to loud noises, stay with your pet.
· If you must be outside, keep your pet on a leash or carrier at all times.